Monday, March 29, 2010

Pizza...sort of.

I can't eat gluten.
I admit it.  One of the most wonderful staples of human existence has been removed from my diet.
Some would see this as a curse.  I, however, see it as an evolutionary advantage.  Perhaps sometime in the near future, wheat will be eliminated by the careless act of a genetic scientist.
Then what? I'll tell you what.  I would be happily adjusted to consuming loads of tapioca flour and ground up rice, and the rest of you un-evolved primates would be left hungry.  Who is cursed now?
[End of self-pity induced rant]

One of the things that I was the most saddened by when I learned that I could not eat waves of amber grain was the thought of an existence without pizza.  As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  Tonight Kristin and I created gluten-free pizza (that actually tasted good!)

Using a recipe for a thin cracker bread made with polenta that I made back in the golden days of kernel consumption, we replaced the wheat flour with rice flour.  I assumed it would taste like eating cheese melted over shredded bills and junk mail.  But, lo and behold, it didn't!  It actually was pretty good.  The crust has fennel seeds and crushed black pepper, so there is a good flavor.  The soft consistency is backed by corn meal, giving the edges a bit of a crunch.  On top we placed artichoke hearts, green olives, and mozzarella cheese.

Being evolutionarily advanced has its perks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment